ShareThis

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Star Fruit (Balimbing)

Star fruit is a juicy tropical fruit grown mostly in Asia. It is a good source of Vitamin C. With only 30 calories per fruit plus lots of fiber, star fruit is a great choice for anyone trying to lose weight. They're also very healthy - full of antioxidants and flavonoids.

During my elementary school days, me and my sister Menmen would often ask our neighbor (Anding Lily) if we could climb on their trees and have some starfruit. You see, they got more than 3 big star fruit trees that has ample of fruits all the time. Most often than not, the fruits will just rot because they can't eat it all.

The owner is always kind enough to allow us to get as many as we want. We always get a lot and bring it to school for barter. I would give my classmates starfruit and in exchange they will give me a piece of pad paper. Through this barter system, my mom wouldn't have to worry about buying us pad of papers. It is our way of helping her.

Whenever I see a starfruit in the grocery (which by the way is expensive, price ranges from $1-$3 a piece) it always brings back memories and makes me smile... and think of it as part of "those were the days".

At home in the Philippines, we still have a star fruit tree. In fact, when I went home I ate one.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails