ShareThis

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Nail - Biting



Nail-biting (onychophagia) is a common stress-relieving habit. You may bite your nails in times of stress or excitement, or in times of boredom or inactivity. It can also be a learned behavior from family members. Nail-biting is the most common of the typical "nervous habits," which include thumb-sucking, nose-picking, hair-twisting or -pulling, tooth-grinding, and picking at skin.

You may bite your nails without realizing you are doing it. You might be involved in another activity, such as reading, watching television, or talking on the phone, and bite your nails without thinking about it.

Who bites their nails?

People of all ages bite their nails.

  • About half of all children between the ages of 10 and 18 bite their nails at one time or another. Nail-biting occurs most often as teens are going through puberty changes.
  • Some young adults, ages 18 to 22 years, bite their nails.
  • Only a small number of other adults bite their nails. Most people stop biting their nails on their own by age 30.
  • Boys bite their nails more often than girls after age 10.
What treatments are available for nail-biting?

Several treatment measures may help you stop biting your nails. Some focus on behavior changes and some focus on physical barriers to nail-biting.

What problems can develop from nail-biting?

Nail-biting can cause your fingertips to be red and sore and your cuticles to bleed. Nail-biting also increases your risk for infections around your nailbeds and in your mouth. Long-term nail-biting can also interfere with normal nail growth and cause deformed nails.

Source: WebMD
------------------
I never had problems with nail biting as i don't bite my nails. In fact, I have one of the most wonderful finger nails (please just don't ask me about my toenails..lol). I remember that the lady that does my manicure always gets scared that she will ruin my fingernails. Actually, whenever i have my manicures done, I always have little wounds because my cuticles are so tender. They always tells me (by looking at my fingernails) that I am a spoiled. My hands doesn't look like a working hands... Well... I have my reasons... I am not used to doing household chores... I have always been an office girl that just handles pen, paper, computer and telephone... hahah that was my excuse! (half true... I am just lazy at household chores!)

1 comments:

Arlyna said...

Yep, I was a former nail biter when I was young. t was so bad that I even bit my toe nails - I know it's gross but thank goodness I kicked that habit out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails